Happiness is a mental or emotional state of well-being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy.
We all strive to find happiness and sometimes it can be tough, but from what i have learnt in the past year of my life is that positivity is key. Having a positive mind is the best way to keep yourself smiling.
‘turn that frown upside down’
Every single one of you will have different things that make you smile and you need to start filling your day with more and more of them. One thing you need to remember in life is that no one wants to see you unhappy.. and if they do you don’t need those people surrounding you because deep down it is probably them causing your unhappiness.
POSITIVITY.. this also means positive people. People with a greater outlook on life, these people will never tell you what is wrong or right, its your life and you make your own choices.. these people will support you no matter what because they have positive minds.
When you’re in that state of mind where you feel exhausted, drained and fragile.. you set yourself to believe that there is no way back to happiness (trust me I’ve been there) but there honestly is.
I created a memory jar.. this may sound silly to some people but i believe it really works for me. Its full of memories from the day i was born until today, and every time i do something i love i will write it down and put it in this jar. My family and friends have also joined in by writing memories we have had together and popping them in the jar, this is such a nice gesture for me as sometimes they are things i can’t remember from my childhood. Every morning i will open the jar and take out a memory. This starts my day off with a smile.
These are a few tips in how i got myself back to a smiler 🙂
1. FAMILY! these people are the most amazing and understanding people, no matter how much you may argue or disagree, they will always be there for you no matter what. My mum is my rock, she supported me so much and i look up to her even more now because it just shows you how much these people around you will always be there even at your darkest times.
2. Money.. does this buy happiness or does it not? this one will be different for everyone, some people believe happiness comes from money and others believe money comes from happiness. In my job i believe that money definitely comes from happiness, the positive vibes you give out to the people around you will excel yourself and possibly your career as people in your workplace will notice your passion and positivity for what you are doing. I can also agree with money does bring happiness, i see no wrong in treating yourself, going out for dinner or for the day as this will brighten up your mood.
3. A life purpose.. set yourself a goal, where do you see yourself in a years time? aim for that, yes you may fail on the way but what is the harm in trying? Think about what YOU want from YOUR life, and just go for it! There is nothing better than achieving something all by yourself.
4. Relationships, this can be with anyone.. friends, girlfriend, boyfriend, parents, work colleagues. Have a better relationship with the people around you on a day to day basis. Make an effort to interact and find out about other people. I have found that speaking to others really inspired me to go for things which before i would have been to scared to even think about! Getting to know people will then make your everyday life a lot happier as the more people you connect with means the more people you can talk to and talking helps with emotion.
5. HUGS! just have a good cuddle. Hugging increases the feeling of safety, trust, security and self worth. Its a fact that people crave 13 hugs a day, so you better hurry up before the day ends!
6. random acts of kindness.. I’m the type of person who doesn’t give to receive. i LOVE seeing other people happy, i think this is the one thing which makes me happiest of them all. People smiling around you will cause you to smile, smiling is contagious.
when you’re smiling the whole world smiles with you. 🙂
7. DANCING. just dance, try it.. right now. put on some loud music and just dance.
8. Exercise, running may be the solution to feeling good. Not only does exercise keep you fit, it makes you happier in the process. Its a proven fact that just 20 minutes of physical activity will have a positive effect on your mood.
9. And finally, pets. Our pets release oxytocin (also known as the cuddle hormone).. this chemical will reduce stress levels and lower your blood pressure. And the fact is they love you and need you more than anything.
‘take time to do what makes your soul happy’
keep smiling and go with your heart.